Here are the 6 things to check out this week:
- Last week, I compared taking on opportunities to Steve Carrell’s character in 40-Year-Old Virgin. If you’re not yet subscribed to my daily email, you can sign up here.
- In tough times like these, I like to seek out perspective. Jocko Podcast 219 certainly provides that, as Jocko and Rose Schindler explore her time spent in the Auschwitz concentration camps. Not for the faint of heart.
- I’m on a bit of a Cheryl Strayed kick this week. I dove in headfirst to her bestselling book Wild and coincidentally came across her piece on Tiny Beautiful Things, written in Farnam Street.
- To keep you fired up: Ryan Serhant talks about why this should be your “AND time”. Here are some massive companies that launched in recessions through the years. Keep your head up and keep plugging away.
- Looking for a new show? My girlfriend and I are getting LOCKED IN to Reese Witherspoon’s new show, Little Fires Everywhere (on Hulu).
- My weekend quarantine plan? Reading. Cooking. Writing. Games. We bought cards, Battleship, Backgammon, Chess and Checkers.
Quote of the Week
“It’s hard to be grateful all the time, you know? And some days I wake up and I feel like I’m on the wrong side of the bed and I can’t appreciate everything that happens around me. But I believe in practicing gratitude in the same way you practice free throws, or anything else. You can consciously choose to focus on what you’re thankful for, rather than what frustrates you. And if you have positive thoughts, positive words, a positive mental attitude, and positive actions, then eventually it becomes easier and easier to be positive.”